Tuesday, May 18, 2010

Sunbathing in Korea?

So, it has been gorgeous here the past few days and for me, when summer's around the corner and it's the beginning of bathing suit season, I like to work on my tan. This is the opposite of what Koreans like to do. I have realized, that this is why many Koreans are often dressed in full clothing when outside--no matter what the temperature. When hiking on a 75 degree day, they will be dressed in black hiking pants, black hiking sweatshirt, full visor, handkerchief, and hiking boots. While I prefer, shorts and a tank--hence the many stares. When I go to the Clinique counter to get some "bronzing powder" they tell me, "I'm sorry ma'am, we only have whitening powder." Many Koreans wear whitening creams/lotions/makeup, to try and make their skin look lighter. To me, their skin is beautiful. I guess once again we always want what we don't have.
Anyway, to work on my tan, I have resorted to the closest possible option for sunlight: my rooftop. Do not be fooled, this is not some fancy rooftop deck with a pool, chairs, etc. Oh no. If you came to the top of my building you'd see my friend Matt, Mallory, and I laying out amongst the air conditioning fans and other maintenance objects that cover the top of the building. But when you have good company, good conversation and the sun, you can pretty much just pretend you're at the beach! (I'll save the pics for when my tan is in full effect.) ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment