Monday, August 23, 2010

Tokyo--el fin: the fish market

The original plan was to get there by 5am in order to see the tuna come off the boats and see the auction...however when we got there they were closing the doors as they only let 140 people in and apparently we were about # 146,47,48 & 49. Bummer! Either way...we still got into the most recommended hole-in-the-wall sushi place, right in the market. We walked up as they were opening their doors and swoop--the four of us were sitting on half of the stools in the place.Waiting patiently for our first piece of nigiri: excited much?!

I have to be honest, I was a bit skeptical at the thought of eating raw fish at 5:30 in the A.M., but the atmosphere of this little place, the sarcasm coming from the sushi chef in my face, and the taste of this fresh-off-the-boat fish left NOTHING to be desired. Hands down best sushi I've ever had in my life. SO fresh tasting--like O.M.G melt in your mouth good. Grood even. I think the squid was actually my favorite.
ANDDDD back to the hotel for a post sushi nap. After all, it was only 6:30 in the morning. Post nap it was time to make the long trek back to the airport. Sad but true, our Tokyo trip was coming to a close.
Once again a strange realization comes over me when I go from Tokyo "home" to Seoul and Jared and Co. go home to Chicago...
Sayonara Japan...you've been oh so good.

1 comment:

  1. I mean, I like Sushi... but 5:30AM? And squid at 5:30AM... that's extreme!
    and, ps, you look like you just woke up in that pic above :)
    I've seen that face quite a few times ;0!

    ReplyDelete