Tuesday, August 3, 2010

Family and friends in Korea!!

My brother came to visit me in Korea!! Before I left the states, he said, "Jac, if you go, there's no way I'm not coming."So, Jared and Johnny K (his good friend) make their way from Incheon airport to my school on my last day of work before my one week of summer break. Jared gets to sit in on two of my classes and see how a good of a teacher I am. ;) That evening I take them out for traditional Korean BBQ aka galbi, at my favorite local venu. Beer, Soju, and some BBQ beef has them pretty satisfied. It was delish as usual. Mmmm galbi and all its complimentary side dishes!!


Andddd big bite!


Wednesday we got up early and went to climb the Seoul Fortress at Bugaksan.
A third of the way to the top of the fortress at one of the few allowed photo ops. Once again, a perfect example of how Seoul combines both a very metropolitan and nature-esk feel.
Just some elephant ears and petunias on the walk up to the fortress entrance. (Posted for Mike Melnyk)

This mountain is where the President's pad is, aka The Blue House, and with a passport you can climb the mountain along the fortress walls.
The "Blue House" (Pres's pad)

The fortress was originally built in the 1400s and surrounds the entire city of Seoul. There were army guards at the lookout towers. The climb to the top was INTENSE--but well worth it and so awesome!


After that 4 hour hike we head to the Jamsil baseball stadium to witness my first ever Korean baseball game! It was the LG Twins vs. SKTelecom Tigers. There was a lot of team spirit. They don't have cheerleaders per se, however, they have this one Korean dude, dressed in a jersey standing on top of the dugout who leads the crowd in song with 4 girls dancing behind him. SO Korean. :)Jon and Jared showing some LG team spirit!

Last day in Korea Jared and I run the mountain in my backyard, go to the Yongsan Electronics Market (one of the top 3 largest in the world) and I take the boys to eat some more traditional Korean food for dinner.
Then we go and have some beers at this funky bar.Next morn, off to Tokyo!!

The lyrics to "Smells like teen Spirit" on the place we ate.

No comments:

Post a Comment