Friday, September 24, 2010

The Rents in Seoul



At Gyongbok Palace
So yes...somehow it happened...my mom and I twisted my dad's arm just enough and they both came to visit me in Seoul!! I had been anticipating this moment for quite some time...knowing that having them here would be both awesome yet bittersweet as I would have to say goodbye to them for another 6 months.
I get to the airport just 5 minutes before I see them walking out of the exit gate, in Seoul, South Korea. There were hugs, tears, and huge smiles--and we're off to catch the bus to my place!

Monday they accompanied me to school and met my coworkers and students! They sat in on my first 3 kindy classes and I think the adoration was equal from students to parents and parents to students. The kids always LOVE it when we have guests in the classroom. Especially when it's their teacher's parents! Much laughter ensued. One of my students started telling us about how her dog died...so we were sad...and then she said that her grandmother kicked it until it died...and then she said "we cooked it"...and I'm just still HOPING that she was confused! For lunch I took em for kimbop and bipimbop to which they graciously tried but found it didn't agree with their taste buds so much. So Monday night we opted for some Korean fried chicken for dinner. They ate it up! (I mean, who doesn't like fried chicken!)
We woke up Tuesday to a cats and dogs type of raining. We decided we had to be active anyway so we hiked the mountain in my backyard (Bonghwasan) in the rain. It was fun-and wet, very very wet. Then we went back to my place anddd crash. THREE HOUR NAP. I suppose they have an excuse being jet-lagged and all...but me? It was nice to wake up from my nap though and see those 2 people I know so well sleeping peacefully in my apt. For dinner, my kindy director took us out for some delicious galbi which was enjoyed by all.Mom checking out all the awesome sides that come with galbi


Wednesday we woke up to another overcast day, however no rain was occurring so off we went. First we took the subway to Gyeongbok palace and walked around.
Being that it was the major 3 day holiday of the year, I expected no crowds, but it was packed. We walked around that vast space for a looonnng time and then walked out near Cheonggyecheon (gorgeous inter-city stream) and had some beers. Kom bei! (or 'cheers' in Korean)

Then we took the subway to Insadong for some market shopping and souvenir finding. This was probs my dad's favorite part of the trip--you know, shopping. For dinner I cooked my parents some yummy salmon.
Thursdee we awoke to the sun bursting through my apartment, without a cloud in the sky. Yessss! Finally, sunshine. We hop on the subway to hike up Namsan mountain. This mountain makes Bonghwa mountain look like a hill.Part way up Namsan

It was the most PERFECT day for hiking though. And also a perfect day for Coldstone Creamery once we make it to the top. I suggested we take a different way down, thinking it will be similar to going up...however we hike down the mountain for maybe 3 times the distance it took us to get up?? Everyone was a bit tired and perhaps slightly annoyed. Actually, everyone besides the 82 year old Korean man we met along the way down that stopped us and said, "Hello, have a nice day!" "How old are you? I'm 82"--as he does a full forward bend forward and puts his head between his ankles. "Can you do this?" he says, to which I reply "of course" and do the same...however mom and dad, not so much. He then asks us "Where you from?" Dad mentions Chicago and he and his friends Oooh and Ahhh and mention something about Michael Jordan and then say "See you later!" It was just the type of Korean experience I wanted my parents to witness. There are SO many charming/kind Korean people and it's always great to meet a new one. We FINALLY make it down and walk the streets of Myong-dong where my parents are just blown away by the amount of people, shops, restaurants and just STUFF everywhere. I told them it's even more intense in Tokyo. So after several tries for getting food, we stop at this little Italian place and get some flat brick oven pizza and bruschetta. Yes, Italian food in Korea. It was pretty good too. And we're off to the fish market. This is also something unlike anything else. We went at 5pm so it was pretty stinky too. But my parents were quite impressed. Needless to say we weren't having fish for dinner that evening. That night I took them for galbi at my favorite local restaurant. The food is cheap and delicious, and the owners are SO darling. They loved it. Just hangin in my lil apt

Anddd Friday. Friday we take the subway (I believe my parents are sick of the subway at this point, I know I am) down south to the Han River. We rent bikes and ride along on another gorgeous day. My mom was SO excited once she got on the bike. She couldn't stop laughing. She said she can't remember the last time she was on a bike. It was hilarious. We stopped for some noodles on the river at a place to which I promised they would like and I claimed as 'amazing' as I apparently do for all food--and they ended up buying some chips and peanuts to eat instead. :-/
So we returned the bikes after an hour and just laid in the park looking up at the sky enjoying the day. Then we took the subway to Samcheong-dong, this really cute area with tons of coffee shops, art galleries, and shops. We walked around for a bit--my mom wanted to find something Korean to buy for herself to wear--but no such luck. We head back the hour subway ride home to relax and get ready for dinner with Mal--she's back from China!! We were going to go out downtown again for dinner, but we were all exhausted from all the walking, hiking, biking, shopping, etc so we went to the local chicken and beer place for dinner. Good times. Then we head back to the place and relax a bit before we fall asleep for my parents' last night in Seoul. We wake up early this morning and I take them to catch the Limousine bus to the airport for their 14 hour flight back home. As we wait for the bus I find myself with very mixed emotions. So happy that they actually came out to see me--I mean, it's truly incredible. So sad that I will have to say goodbye for at least 6 months. Their bus pulls up, we hug one last time and reluctantly wave goodbye. I walk away from the station crying and thinking about how much I love them. Now I am back in my humble abode, blogging about this wonderful time that is now over. I feel a bit lost and overwhelmed as and will not feel at peace until I know they have arrived safely in Chicago. But, I couldn't be happier that they came, and am truly grateful to have such amazing parents, and that they would come across the world, to visit their daughter.

2 comments:

  1. SO excited to see they went to visit you!! I LOVE YOUR PARENTS!!! Can't wait to see you in the good ol US of A soon!

    ReplyDelete