Monday, June 28, 2010

Hong Kong


View from the condo
I wouldn't really say that I felt like I was in China SO much. Hong Kong is a very international city. I went to visit one of my oldest and dearest friends Julie who was visiting her sister and family who is living there. They are there because her husband works for PWHC and is on an assignment in Hong Kong for 2 years. They just had their second baby about 3 weeks ago! So while I got to see Hong Kong, I also got to spend some time with good friends and little ones.
Friday morning Jules and I woke up early and took a bus from Stanley to downtown Hong Kong, aka Central. Then we took a ferry to Lantau Island to see the world's largest Buddha!
View from ferry
Big Buddha
Pretty incredible. We spent time walking around the little Buddha/monastery town until it began to downpour. I mean, the kind of rain that makes you laugh hysterically because it is so strong that your umbrella is inside out and you just look ridiculous. (I'll leave those pics out)

Friday eve we do dinner in local Stanley which reminds of a casual Lincoln Parky-area with cute restaurants and bars...except that it is on right on the beach. We eat some delicious pasta at the Boathouse! Later that eve I experience my first STELLA in Asia. It tastes like sweet sweet paradise. :)
Saturday we awake to straight up' cats and dogs' raining. Such a bummer seeing as the condo that I'm staying at is right on the beach, with a pool, tennis courts, country club, etc. Although it is quite nice relaxing in this lush condo, we decide we must brave the rain. So we go into Central to eat some Dim Sum. Umm--yumm?! Chinese style dumplings with anything and everything you can imagine inside. Fresh meat, veggies, and sauces of all sorts. SO good. It's funny because they sit us at a table with about 6 other Asians and we really have no idea how to eat the dim sum. So after some laughter at our expense, a couple of them explain to us which dumplings to eat with which sauce.
As I said, Hong Kong is international in that almost everyone speaks English. You see just about as many Westerners as you see Asians. There are phenomenal shopping opportunities. Somehow I am able to contain myself and I only purchase one pair of shoes--wedges that is. Oh and a couple souvenirs of course.
Oh yeah--we also opt for reflexology--because what could be better than having someone rub your feet on a rainy day?!
We head back to the condo only to prepare for the long night ahead as the US game is on at 2:30am on Sat. evening. Central is packed. It's actually a bit overwhelming.
The streets remind me a bit of San Fran with its steep hills. We watch the first half of the game at a bar and then head home to watch the second half. Boo for losing US of A!!
Sunday we lounge and have a nice family dinner at the American Club. This umbrella accompanied me the entire trip

Later that I evening I take my hour cab ride back to the Hong Kong airport to await my flight "home." I feel such a mixture of emotions. After having this great vacation in Hong Kong, I feel a bit lost, and lonely as I return "home" to Seoul...which I guess is my home for now...but feels nothing like the home that I know so well back in Chicago.

2 comments:

  1. the feet sticking out of the adidas store reminds me of the wizard of oz when that witch's feet stick out from the house that fell on her - creepy.

    also, the umbrella pic might be your best yet.....

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes except that this would be the modern day, super-size, sporty witch...

    ReplyDelete