Wednesday, June 2, 2010

Teacher's Retreat






I would say that the teachers at my school work very hard and work all the time--year round that is. The CEO of my school Simon, cares deeply for his employees--and treats us very well. That being said, every year he plans a teacher's retreat, where school is canceled and all the teachers, foreign and Korean alike go spend a day and night away together.


We take a bus (that I swear is from 1907?) out to the country. Our first stop is at a park--let the games begin. First we play kickball. Then we hoola-hoop--the goal is not how long you can keep the hoop up, rather how many times can you make it go around in one minute?! Watching men hoola hoop is great entertainment. Next was basketball--yes 3 on 3. I don't think I have played basketball since I was a kid--it was SO much fun, such hard work, and I couldn't walk the next day. After that we did "Jegee" a traditional Korean game that reminds me a bit of hacky-sack. Let's just say I could only hit the "jegee" once. The last competition was long distance running (3 times around a track.) Way to save the hardest for last. My team took 2nd place overall. Not bad. Not bad indeed.



Then the bus takes us further into the country to a lovely house! I am thrilled as all I ever see are apartments. This house is on a huge lot of land, right off some water. There are cats and dogs running around. It is like a huge log cabin. First things first, the losing team starts preparing the meal. So excited to really BBQ outside!




Rice, veggies, meat, soup, and beer. All fresh
from the grill. Well--you know what I mean. Delicious dinner. Post dinner some of the group
moves inside for the evening festivities. Even in this country home, there is a setup for Karaoke. We begin singing in the main room of the house, but once it gets too late, we move to the "karaoke room." Yes, in this country house, there is a karaoke room. This room has a colored disco ball, a huge speaker system, flat screen TV, and mics galore. I fall asleep listening to some of my coworkers singing, "Dancing Queen."
Great day, great night.

No comments:

Post a Comment