Wednesday, April 21, 2010

Bonghwasan - My hood and the Subway

Seoul is a LARGE city, not so much in size, rather in population. There are over 10 million people here. And South Korea, is merely the size of Indiana. You get the idea. Seoul is then broken into districts known as "gu's" and then even smaller wards known as "dong's." (That's what she said.) The only thing I know is which subway station I am near. I don't even know my own address. Bonghwasan is the mountain in my backyard and the name of the closest subway.


The cherry trees just started to blossom!

That was my attempt at a "flower"picture. (Shall we say, nice try?) This picture was pre Mallory's directions showing me how to set my camera to actually take pictures like this. There is actually a setting for this type of picture. Who knew?! Stay tuned.


But I digress. I don't really need to know my address. I can get everywhere I need to go by subway, and if I take a cab home I just tell the driver "Bonghwasan yok" which means take me to Bonghwasan station. The subway in Seoul is like an underground world. It is extremely clean, very efficient, and simply unlike any public transportation system I have ever encountered. All of the directions and stations are in English. The train seems more like a tram and rides very smooth. None of those corners you take in Chicago when you fly into the person across from you at 8 in the morning with their morning breath in your face. Nope, just smooth sailing. You don't even have to hold on actually. Yet somehow, you still get everywhere fast. They even play classical music in the cars. The seats are heated. I've never seen a seat that I was afraid might have some disease on it so I didn't sit on it. In fact, I don't even think I have seen ONE piece of garbage in the subway, ever! No gum, nothing. It's pristine. After this everlasting ramble, I am sure you can tell that I am impressed. YAY Korea!




1 comment:

  1. Jacki, I have no idea what I am doing, but I hope this appears after your post. I absolutely love reading your blog and hearing about what you are seeing and doing. Can't wait to hear more!
    love, Aunt Debbie

    ReplyDelete