Tuesday, April 6, 2010

School, Day One

First day of school is grood! (definition here) I am at a hogwon (private English school) called DOCS: Debating Openly Composing Skillfully.

The kids are just DARLING. Cuter than I could have imagined. The kindergartners are age 4-7 and have so much energy. They are so happy to meet me! I am introduced as Jacki Teacher to which some of the kids have translated to Jacket Teacher--they find this hilarious. My school is well-organized, bright, and clean. It is covered in lime green walls with little yellow tables and chairs in each classroom. I take my shoes off everyday before entering the school and wear "inside shoes" or slippers. All of the kids do the same. My fellow "foreign" teachers are great...there is Robert, Laura, Matt, Matthew, Amber, and Nate. The Korean teachers are also awesome. Everyone is very willing to lend a hand to help me get situated and answer the many questions I have. I teach kindergarten in the mornings from about 10am-2pm and elementary in the afternoon from about 3pm-7pm. I have multiple breaks throughout the day. Each class is only 35 minutes which allows for a nice breakup of the day. First day in, field trip! Off to the local fire station.




On my way home from school, I stop at Home Plus to grab some things. Think Super Walmart. I get to my apartment, put together my bed, attempt to use the internet to no avail, pour myself a glass of red, and before I can take a sip, I am in lala land. Day 1 in Korea: success!

8 comments:

  1. Please bring home 3 small Korean children for me to adopt. And some Kimchee.

    Everything looks amazing!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have goosebumps from reading! So excited for you! Keep blogging, I love it! Love you and miss you, J

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ha, I have no idea what happened with my comment, but what I said was...I heart your cute little apartment and I LOVE YOUR ASIAN KIDS. Can't wait to keep reading about your adventures!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for reading!! I will see what I can do about the Koreans and adopting! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am so happy for you. You seem like you are really adjusting. You should be so proud of your accomplishment so far. I am glad that the kids seem to like you. I will keep reading please keep me posted.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi! I'm thinking of taking a position at the docs hagwon starting in July. My recruiter gave me the link to your blog. Would you mind if I asked you some questions about the school? I want to make sure everything is on the up and up before I sign a contract and fly to korea :) My email is madhart@uw.edu. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hey Jackie, I am applying to work at the same Korean Hagwon you worked at and was wondering if I could ask you some questions. If you could e-mail me that would be great! Its mkpopcorn@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete