Saturday, April 10, 2010

My trip over

My journey to Seoul began with a daunting 13 hour, 30 minute flight. Some of you may know that I do NOT particularly enjoy flying, so naturally I was nervous. That combined with the fact that I was going to be saying goodbye to my family for possibly a year, left me overwhelmed. Mom and dad pull up to curbside drop-off where we cry, we laugh, and then finally I waive at them longingly as I walk into international departures. My soul is heavy as I talk with Jared (Brosis) while sitting in the row of seats, prior to entering the ticket gate. After talking a bit we smile and decide, it is time for me to get my ticket. There is no crying, actually, only smiling and I believe a mutual feeling of complete and utter joy, which leaves me feeling very at peace. Korean Airlines began with a pleasant experience as the man at the kiosk weighed my suitcase, which was over 50lbs obvi, and said, "I'll let it go this time," as if I was going to be flying back soon. Getting through security was extremely painless and soon I am sitting staring at the very large robin-egg-blue Korean Air plane that is going to take me halfway across the world. Just then approximately 12 smiling stewardesses, wearing skirts, suit coats, scarves, with hair in perfect buns, walk over and enter the plane. On this beast of a plane, there are two first classes, one is for cash $$ millionaires, the second is for ballers, and then there is coach, which is where I will sit. Spacious and clean seating, friendly staff--I am quite content. I sit next to two girls, med students from Northwestern who are taking their 5 week break to travel to Vietnam, Cambodia, and Laos. Uh-mazing.

I am here, I am on the plane, I AM doing it. It is finally really happening. So ready and excited to learn this new culture and new people.
Oh yeah, did I mention??--there is FREE wine on the flight. I don't know what else could make me quite as happy. ;) 1st meal on plane: Bipimbap. Contains: rice, cabbage, beef, bean sprouts, hot pepper paste, and sesame oil. Basically, pure deliciousness. :)




This 13 hour flight actually feels similar to a four hour flight, and soon enough, I land.
I pick up my luggage to find this older Korean man holding a sign that says "Jacelyn Melnyk" so I go up to him and ask him questions to which he has no idea what I'm saying. Ahh yes, he speaks only Korean, as do majority of people in this country--my first bout with the language barrier. So he drives me to where we meet my recruiter, pick up the director of my school, and drive to my apartment. It is a bit small, but is quite cozy. I feel very safe and at home in my humble abode. Take a gander!
I am here, I am safe, and I am happy.








5 comments:

  1. Your place looks so cute and cozy already!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love, love, love the blog!!!! And your place is darling!! xoxox

    ReplyDelete
  3. do you have a lofted bedroom??!! reminds me of my first apartment in Chicago!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Tell those punk kids to get your name straight.

    ReplyDelete
  5. My place IS totally cozy. You all should come visit. I have a futon!--No but seriously.

    And Charlie, don't you know, if I act like I care about them calling me Jacket Teacher, they will only harass me more?! The question is, how can I make sure that Jacket Teacher is the coolest teacher that ever was??

    ReplyDelete